Phone: (902) 494-3063
Associate Professor, Department of Applied Oral Sciences
Recent Journal Articles
1. Tian XL, Salim H, Dong GF, Parcells M, Li YH (2018). The BceABRS four-component system that is essential for cell envelope stress response in involved in sensing and response to host defense peptides and is required for biofilm formation and fitness of Streptococcus mutans. J Med Microbiol. 2018 67: 874-883.
2. Li, YH, Li M, Tian XL (2018). Targeted regulation of cariogenic pathogen Streptococcus mutans in biofilms by pheromone-guided antimicrobial peptides (a review). J. Antimicrob Agents. 4(3): 175, DOI: 10.4172/2472-1212.1000175
3. Li, YH Tian XL (2017). Proteolytic regulation of competence development in the Genus Streptococcus: implications in competence, stress response and antibacterial therapy. J Antimicrob Agents. 3(3) 1000148.
4. Tian, XL, Chen, C, Cyr K, Dong G, Salim H, LI YH. (2017) Targeted killing of Streptococcus mutans in biofilms by a pheromone guided antimicrobial peptide HP30. J Antimicrob Res. 1(2): 201-211.
5. Li, YH, Huang, X, Tian XL (2017). Recent advances in dental biofilm: impacts of microbial interactions on the biofilm ecology and pathogenesis. AIMs Bioengineering. 4(3): 335-350.
6. Dong GF, Tian XL, Liu TL, Cyr K, Chen C, Lin W. German M, Li YH. (2016). Membrane topology and structural insights into the peptide pheromone receptor ComD, a quorum-sensing histidine protein kinase of Streptococcus mutans. Scientific Report. 6:26502 | DOI: 10.1038/srep26502.
7. Li YH, Tian XL. (2016). Undecaprenyl pyrophosphate phosphatase-encoding gene in Gram-positive bacteria as a new antimicrobial target. Immunogenetics. 2016, 1:1: 1000104.
9. Jalal N, XL Tian, GF Dong, J Upham, C Chen, M Parcells, YH Li. (2015). Identification and characterization of SMU.244 encoding a putative undecaprenyl pyrophosphate phosphatase protein required for cell wall biosynthesis and bacitracin resistance in Streptococcus mutans. Microbiology 161(9):1857-70.
10. Dong G, Tian XL, Gomez ZA, Li YH. (2014) Regulated proteolysis of the alternative sigma factor SigX in Streptococcus mutans: implication in the escape from competence. BMC Microbiol. 14:183. doi: 10.1186/1471-2180-14-183. PubMed PMID: 25005884; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4109385.
11. Tian XL, Dong GF, Liu TL, Gomez ZA, Wahl A, Hols P, LI YH. (2013) MecA protein acts as a negative regulator of genetic competence in Streptococcus mutans. Journal of Bacteriology, 195 (22): 1-11.
12. Li YH, Tian XL. (2012) Quorum sensing and bacterial social interactions in biofilms. Sensors 12: 2519-2538.
13. Mei J, Tian, XL, Gallant JW, Merkley N, Biswas, Z, Syvitski, R, Douglas, SE, Ling J, Li, YH. (2011) A novel target-specific, salt-resistant antimicrobial peptide against the cariogenic pathogen Streptococcus mutans. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 55: 5205-5213.
14. Ouyang J, Tian XL, Versey J, Wishart A, Li YH. (2010) The BceABRS four-component system regulates bacitracin-induced cell envelope stress response in Streptococcus mutans. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 54: 3895-3906.
1. Li YH, Tian XL (2016) Quorum sensing and bacterial social interactions in biofilms: bacterial cooperation and competition. Chapter 21.1, pp. 1197-1205, edited by Frans J. de Bruijn: Stress and environmental regulation of gene expression and adaptation in bacteria. 1st edit, Vol. 2. John Wiley and Sons Inc Publisher.
2. Li YH, Tian XL (2016) Microbial interactions in biofilms: impacts on homeostasis and pathogenesis. Chapter 3, pp. 43-61. Eds. D. Dhanasekaran and N. Thajuddin: Microbial biofilms: importance and application. InTech Open Publisher.
3. Li YH, XL Tian (2015) An alternative strategy as quorum sensing inhibitor: pheromone guided antimicrobial peptides. Part VI pp327-334. In Vipin C Kalia. Quorum sensing vs quorum quenching: a Battle with no end in sight. Springer.
4. Li YH (2009) Quorum sensing and signal transduction in biofilms: the impacts of bacterial social behaviors on biofilm ecology. Chapter 7, pp: 117-133, In Jaykus L-A., Wang H., and Larry Schlesinger L.: Foodborne microbes: shaping the host ecosystem. ASM Press.